Sunday, April 19, 2009

Leg Ampulation/Replacement?

It is just another day at school. I arrive and start getting my things ready and a administrator tells me it is time for my emergency surgery. I am like what? Then they run into explaining all the details of how my right leg needs to be "changed" or I could die. I look down at it and it suddenly doesn't look right.

They take me into surgery and explain that it won't hurt at all. I won't need any anesthesia and I should be able to get right back to teaching. I run back to my kids and tell them to read or color why I am gone. I run back to the room and jump into my hospital gown and then lay on the bed face down.

I wait for my first doctor to come and I feel him begin to cut the skin on my leg. Strangely it doesn't hurt at all. Suddenly he is done and I hear a new doctor come in to take the rest of my leg. At one point I realize that my whole leg is gone, but I can still feel my toes. So I guess that means that I had a fathom limb?


My leg finally gets put on and I sit up. There are no doctors anywhere and I am confused if I am done. I wait and wait and finally decide to see if my wild 2nd graders are under control. Walking on my new leg feels different, but oddly it isn't that bad. Yea for my new leg!

No comments: