Monday, April 14, 2008

Maren the Missionary

I am a missionary at a post in Africa in a small rural village. I arrive by helicopter and step into the warm African air. I look around and a man who is my age (I am much older by the way) and he is gorgeous and is American. We become friends right away and I sort of adopt his two African children. We all live together in a tent trailer. I

am very happy, but want to get married. I eagerly wait for him to propose, but he is nervous about me living my life in such a dangerous country. I am ready to dive into the new culture and begin dressing in the traditional way. He sees that I am enjoying myself and learning the language, but he is still not convinced. One night the children ask him why I am not their real mom. He stumbles on his words and I say that I want to be. Finally he caves and admits that he wants this as well. We finally share our first passionate kiss and the kids are overjoyed to have a new mother.

Later we plan a trip and start counting our money which is all in silver coins that are worth a lot. The kids help count and say this is their favorite part about living in Africa. WHAT?

No comments: