Friday, February 29, 2008

Imaginary Frogs & White River Tenting

I am camping out in the wilderness with a group of friends. It is nighttime and we are all exhausted. So we set up our tent and get inside to go to sleep. Before we fall fast asleep, the leader warns us that we are sleeping on pebbles so watch out for we all know what could happen. I am confused and freaked out. My mind starts to play tricks on me and instead of seeing the tent as it is, I see and inch of space between the floor and the rest of the tent. As I stare out into the darkness, I hear frogs and snakes shuffling around. A huge frog jumps into the dark tent and I hear it. I grab it with my hands and scream as it struggles to get into my sleeping bag. No one else seems bothered and the frog wins and gets into my sleeping bag. I am so grossed out as I feel the slimy frog against my cold skin.

Then I have a revelation. We are in a tent and there are no holes where frogs or snakes can get in! The frog and inch hole around the base of the tent instantly disappear and I breathe a sigh of relief as I fall asleep.

Now it is morning and our tent begins to slide on the rocks. Everyone is still in the tent and we roll right down the pebble bank into the raging river full of rapids. The tent acts as a boat and begins to proceed down the rough river. We stay afloat and little splashes of water jump inside as we steer around the rocks and rapids. We slow down and come to a dock where we all unload except for my friend and me. A huge burst of wind comes away and we get blown down stream towards the rougher rapids. The tent is taking on water and in front of us is a huge slab of rock. We storm to the rock and crash straight into it. The tent gets pushed up and water begins to flow in rapidly. We scream and our friends look towards us with worry. The leader takes out a remote and presses a button that closes off the river with a fence. We sigh in relief and float back to the dock wet, but very happy!

No comments: